Daily schedule to end “drifting”

April 13, 2010

I’ve often wondered why I am able to be organized, proactive and on top of things professionally while my home is a mess, my library books are late and I’m in my jammies till noon. I found the answer — and it is simple — in “The Procrastinator’s Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now” by Rita Emmett.*

She calls it the “Drifting Along” method of procrastination. Because home is less structured, without deadlines or a set schedule, I drift along all day, all week, all month without getting much done.

I’ve tried many tactics to combat this without having much success. But let’s give it another go. Here is the daily schedule I am aiming for. Once I get a daily planner, I will not write to-do lists. Rather I will schedule each to-do item in the appropriate time slot on a given day. This idea came from a man I met at the blogger volunteer event I did in January. He said he writes what he needs to do in his calendar and doesn’t worry about anything not written on a future day until that day comes.

The plan:

8 a.m. – Get up, brush teeth, go to living room, open blinds/windows
8:15 a.m. – Stretch, drink a glass of water.
8:30 a.m. – Make breakfast. Eat it with the kids.
9 a.m. – Dress kids and send them out to play. Dress self and Ellie.
9:30 a.m. — Do laundry and dishes.
10 a.m. – Check email/facebook.
10:30 a.m. – Read to kids while they eat snack.
11 a.m. – Do Heritage Makers work while kids do something creative at kitchen table.
Noon – Make, eat and clean up from lunch.
1 p.m. – Do blog work and check twitter.
2 p.m. – Do home paperwork.
2:30 p.m. – Eat snack and play with kids.
3:30 p.m. – Do housework
4:30 p.m. – Make, eat and cleanup dinner
6 p.m. – Have some me time/redeem rewards from tasks completed.
7 p.m. – Have some family time.
7:45 p.m. – Put kids to bed.

* More to come later on this book, which I have enjoyed so far. I need to finish the last couple of chapters because it is now overdue to the library. Baby steps people.

Tags:

14 Responses to Daily schedule to end “drifting”

1. Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves on April 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I think this is a great idea…albeit one I am unlikely to attempt because I am such a procrastinator! It’s a bit crazy how I was so on top of things at work and so not on top of things at home. I agree with you though.

• Recovering Procrastinator on April 14, 2010 at 8:46 am

Give it a try! I know it’s going to be hard but I’d rather try than keep drifting. I’ll admit I’m already off schedule (got up late, got on the computer early) but 2.5 of us are dressed, the dishwasher is loaded and I’m about to make breakfast.

2. Unplanned Cooking on April 13, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This is si me. I feel as if I’m an adrenaline junkie, and it’s hard to get that rush doing laundry. It’s also hard because there’s no finish line.

• Recovering Procrastinator on April 14, 2010 at 8:44 am

Exactly. We need to kind of make our own finish lines and then reward ourselves for getting to them. That’s my next post. :)

3. crafty on April 14, 2010 at 8:23 am

I like the picture that goes along with your story.

4. Lauren on April 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

You need my mom to come for a weekend and whip you into shape — it just worked for me! :)

5. Lauren on April 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

P.S. You writing “brush teeth” on your daily schedule made me laugh. Reminded me of this: When Bekki was preparing for prom back in the day, she wrote out her to-do list to stay on track:
    No. 1: Shower
    No. 2: Dry off :)

• Recovering Procrastinator on April 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

ha! I had to write that because I used to brush them after breakfast. But then my breakfast stretched into coffee which soon was lunch and it was afternoon before I brushed. Gross. So now I do it before eating.

Mandy used to write things like “put on underwear” on her to-do list. And it was a list she rewrote every day. LOL

• Gillian on April 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

ah the Mandy reminders. But hey, she needed to have that written down. I mean seriously, it’s a pretty step by step procedure (getting dressed) and she “forgets” underwear!!! Honestly, some peoples mom.

6. mollyinminn on April 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Okay, I giggled aloud about the book being overdue. Fabulous.

7. KatieP on April 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

ok, how’s this going? it’s been a couple weeks. love your ideas

• KatieP on April 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Oh man! I totally feel you! We’re in the same exact boat!

• Jen on May 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

It’s not going that well. I am so easily sidetracked. And I’m still having trouble getting out of bed in the morning. :( I feel like a need a week without kids to get my house and mind in order so I can use my routine to keep them that way. But obviously that’s not going to happen.

8. River Girl Amber on May 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I visit my son one weekend a month and for a while I used to schedule everything that we would do that weekend. It worked well in the sense that I didn’t have to spend much time thinking about what I was supposed to be doing and I could enjoy my time more with him. Even though nothing went according to schedule it seemed that things went much easier for the both of us when I did that. Thank you for the reminder to work on that again. It feels like time flows by so well even though what I wanted to do at 11:30, I ended up doing at 2:00.